Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Turning Tables/From Whence I Came

Stage 1 of putting on a wetsuit

Since the start of 2013 I have been coaching the TNT Summer Triathlon team. After 2 years with Ironteam I
decided I wanted to take a breather from the 140.6 distance for myself- and share what I have learned about the sport with some new participants.

Returning to the Tri team after being on Ironteam was definitely an adjustment- but it also takes me back (albeit only 3 years) to my very first season with TNT, which feels like a lifetime ago. It is really fun to be able to help those who are new to the sport, starting from square-one with equipment, technique, and in many cases fitness in general. I remember how I felt leading up to and after my first triathlon race- confused, nervous, excited, and ultimately on top of the world after it was all said and done. I want that for my participants (hopefully though with less of the confusion part).

Explaining our Sunday morning run route 
After about 6 weeks of base fitness training, we have had a couple of build cycles under our belts and the team is starting to really come together. This past weekend a large portion of the team traveled up to Lake San Antonio for Wildflower Training Weekend. Just about every triathlon chapter of TNT from California was there for the weekend, camping and training on the course in preparation for the Wildflower races coming up at the beginning of May.

All in all it was a great weekend- no rain at all (thank goodness!), not too hot, not too cold, and everyone really gave it their all. I think our team learned a lot in the process- whether through positive outcomes or through not so positive outcomes to their workouts. As I said to my team throughout the weekend - you rarely learn much from the good days- you learn the most from the bad days. Issues with nutrition,  hydration, equipment functionality, temperature issues, mental blocks, all come out on those bad training days and force you to address them. The sooner you can realize what is going wrong for you, the sooner you'll be able to fix it.

Chubby Bunny
Aside from all the swimming, biking, and running we did over the weekend, we also had lots of fun spending time as a team and sitting around the campfire. There had been a battle arranged between myself and Pai from Ironteam for chubby bunny- to see who could fit the most marshmallows in their mouth. Pai and I are tied in holding the known record of 17 marshmallows at once (and still being able to say "chubby bunny" after each marshmallow is added). We decided to settle the score and see who could fit the most marshmallows, and who could get to 18 and break the record. With my team rooting me on, and Tushar officiating, we duked it out. Unfortunately, it turns out I am not in the chubby bunny shape I was 2 years ago when I PR'ed chubby bunny- and it turns out neither is Pai, because I topped out at 10 marshmallows, and Pai only got to 13. We decided we will have a rematch at Wildflower on race weekend.
At least we were able to entertain the team for a good 15 minutes!

Our next big milestone is Wildflower-which is event weekend for a number of our participants- and then onto Vineman 70.3. I am very excited for, and confident in our team- they are a lean mean bunch of cancer-fighting warriors. I can't wait to see what they can do!


No comments:

Post a Comment